Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Rhyming Dictionaries

If a rhyming dictionary isn't part of your day-to-day life, you may think all rhyming dictionaries are the same. Actually, they're not. Different rhyming dictionaries group and organize entries in different ways, and some are arranged more intuitively than others.

As time permits, I'll be reviewing the rhyming dictionaries in my collection, and offering up the pros and cons of each. In the meantime, I'll share with you the fact that the rhyming dictionary I've used most over the years is The New Comprehensive American Rhyming Dictionary by Sue Young.

A question for the rhymers in my readership: what's your favorite rhyming dictionary?

1 comment:

Boni Ashburn said...

I use The Complete Rhyming Dictionary by Clement Wood, which takes a little getting used to at first, but I also like to use my Scholastic Rhyming Dictionary that I picked up at a book fair. It works well for writing for kids because it has lots of fun, silly options (geared more towards a kid's vocab and comprehension level). Wood's is more complete, but has so many entries I would never use for kids. I also use Rhymezone.com when I'm being lazy :)