Friday, June 20, 2008

Poetry Friday

In the blogosphere of writers, Friday is usually "Poetry Friday." Bloggers share a poem -- sometimes an original work, sometimes not. It's a nice tradition, and though it's not one I'm likely to follow through on every single week, I hope to occasionally.

For this week, I offer up one of my own, written yesterday at the park.

Ready Or Not

Count to ten with your eyes closed
and they gallop away,
those boys of mine –
their legs like a herd,
their bodies tall and taller.

But they are small enough, still,
to fit behind a tree
during hide and seek,

and only some days too old
to give themselves away
with their laughter.

2 comments:

Ann Finkelstein said...

Debbie:
I love your poem. My boys are too big now to hide behind trees, and their laughter booms deep. Savor these days and the ones to come.
Ann

Lori Van Hoesen said...

I'm right with you there, Debbie. Thanks.
Lori