Wednesday, June 11, 2008

As Luck Would Have It

Here's what I happened upon at the park today:




I've always had a knack for finding four-leaf clovers. I'll be walking along in a grassy area, minding my own business, when I happen to glance down -- and a four leaf clover pops out, as clear to me as a purple penguin on ice. Once one catches my eye (clover that is, not penguin), there are always more to be found.


As talents go, four-leaf clover finding is not a particularly useful one, but it's fun. My ability to find four-leaf clovers has to do with an aptitude the name of which I have forgotten. (Obviously, it wasn't "memory...") In graduate school, I took a course in which we studied different learning styles, and we all went through a series of tests to learn about our own. One test had to do with the ability to make out forms and shapes amongst different backgrounds. Though I am generally-speaking not a visual person, and though my artistic abilities could fit in a thimble and leave plenty of room for a thumb, apparently the aptitude-that-I-don't-remember-the-name-for is one that I do have, and it allows me to pick a four-leafer out of a crowd.


What do I do with all the four-leaf clovers? I'm not a true believer in them as a talisman of luck, but I either give them away or I squirrel them away in my dictionary, each clover placed next to a word that needs some luck or good wishes.


If you're in need of a little luck, go ahead and leave a dictionary word in the comments section, and I'll see if I can score you some. :)

2 comments:

Lori Van Hoesen said...

How about lugubrious? I'm not sure it's spelled correctly, but I'm a fan of this one.

Oh, and serendipity, definitely that one. I came across a blog recently called Serendipitydodah!

--L

Lori Van Hoesen said...

well, maybe serendipity isn't a word that really needs a boost. I mean, it's already serendipity, how much better can it get?